Earth Observation Science (EOS)
The mission of the department of Earth Observation Science (EOS) is to gain and disseminate scientific knowledge in earth observation. This knowledge is applied in development of tools to help good governance and wise and sustainable use of natural resources in developing countries and emerging economies.
The department of Earth Observation Science deals with earth observation technology for problem solving. Problem solving means primarily identification of solutions for large-volume producers of geo-information and identification of solutions for application domains.
- PhD position (Promovendus): Spatio-temporal disease mapping and modelling (5 Mar 2014)
- PhD position (Promovendus): Mapping informal settlements (5 Mar 2014)
- EOS department is involved in two successful applications for ISPRS Scientific Initiative (5 Dec 2013)
- Visit from Land Information New Zealand (23 Sep 2013)
- Honours granted to George Vosselman (25 Sep 2012)
- Counting urban trees by satellite more accurate than manual method (28 Jun 2012)
- Change in Editorial Leadership JAG (27 Feb 2012)
- Delta Alliance Young Professionals Award (18 Jan 2012)
- Best Student Paper award for Yaseen Mustafa (30 May 2011)
A selection of events that cover the department's knowledge field or are organised by the department.
Departmental staff contribute to a wide range of courses.
- Principles and Applications of Geographic Information Systems and Remote Sensing (Certificate)
- Geoinformatics (MSc degree)
- Geoinformatics (Master degree)
- Geoinformatics (Postgraduate diploma)
- Geoinformatics (Diploma)
- Geoinformatics, with IIRS, Dehra Dun, India (MSc degree)
- Geoinformatics, with IIRS, Dehra Dun, India (PG diploma)
- Introduction to Geoinformatics (Certificate)
- Remote Sensing and Digital Image Processing (Certificate)
- GIS Operation (Certificate)
- Cartography and Geo-Visualisation (Certificate)
- Laser Scanning (Certificate)
- Geostatistics and Advanced Geostatistics (Certificate)
- 3D Geo-information from imagery (Certificate)
- Principles of Databases (Certificate)
- Principles of Remote Sensing (Certificate)
- Principles of Geographical Information Systems (Certificate)
- GIS Data Quality (Certificate)
- Programming skills (Certificate)
- Application of GEONETCast for Water and Environment (Certificate)
- Advanced Image Analysis (Certificate)
Research is carried out by a group led by one of ITC's professors. Each group typically comprises several expert staff members and a number of graduate students.