|Started September 2019
|ESA Climate Office
The consequences of a warming climate are far-reaching and are already affecting the atmosphere, land and ocean, and altering the main cycles governing the Earth system. With impacts on the natural environment and society for generations to come, climate change is high on political, strategic, and economic agendas worldwide.
To prepare for this challenge, ITC, under the Climate Change Initiative (CCI) and Knowledge Exchange project (https://climate.esa.int/en/), has developed Educational Resources which are learning materials for educators, students, and the interested public. The educational resources target three categories:
- Climate for Schools; classroom resource packs for primary and secondary school children
- Climate for Science Excellence; tertiary education resources for self-study, a Massive Online Open Course and a Summer School
- Climate for the public; playful games to understand aspects of climate change and the role of satellite data in monitoring it
Climate for Schools
The inspirational classroom resources are developed to engage pupils at age 8 to 17 to learn about Earth’s changing climate and how to monitor our planet from space.
These resources are available in five languages (English and Spanish, Dutch, German and French)
Classroom resources for schools
Climate for Science Excellence
We at WRS ITC trust that education will equip the future generation of scientists and policymakers with the competencies to address and mitigate climate change.
Do you want to learn how to measure climate change?
Do you want to predict when extreme events will hit your country again in the future?
Then, you are invited to join our courses and Training For Science Excellence.
Tertiary education resources developed by ITC
The tertiary education courses are developed for graduates and postgraduate levels and offered in three flavours:
- Self-study (Tertiary Training Kit); provides teaching and self-learning resources for teachers and students on the use of software and methods to analyse satellite-derived climate data records https://climate.esa.int/en/educate/climate-for-science-excellence/tertiary-training-kit/
- Massive Open Online Course (MOOC); an online course to explore how satellites are used for Earth Observation to support the climate science community and policy makers https://climate.esa.int/en/educate/climate-for-science-excellence/massive-open-online-course/
- Summer School; a short summer course aiming to equip the participants with the competency of evaluating climate change using satellite data and use state-of-the-art software to analyse essential climate variables https://www.utwente.nl/en/summer-school-curiousu/summer-course/true-climate-change/
Climate for the public
Informal, interactive, playful activities that help to facilitate understanding of climate and climate change and climate data records – with an accompanying Facilitator Guide.
These games address the main triangle of climate change and the activities of the Climate Change Initiative of Monitoring the Environment and Living things.
Games for Public