Synergy of multi-temporal Sentinel 1 and Sentinel 2 images for soil water resources monitoring in Africa
The objective of the proposal is to develop prototype soil moisture products at high spatial and temporal resolution (ground resolution of 20m with weekly availability) by exploiting the synergy of Sentinel 1 and Sentinel 2. Often global products do not fit the specific needs of the local areas in terms of spatial resolution and accuracy and then the project will develop tools which will enable the end-users to adapt products to their area of interest.
The project will have the following activities:
- Identification of demands of regional water authorities for effective application of remote sensing data.
- Review of existing products and identification of drawbacks and specific needs for the areas of interest.
- Exploiting the potential of the temporal and spatial resolution and the combination of Sentinel 1 and Sentinel 2 to derive tailored soil moisture products by using existing algorithm developed by EURAC.
- Validation of the proposed products in specific basins with ground data and integration of the workflow into WOIS platform.
- Publications and recommendation for future activities.
The expected outputs will be:
- prototype tools to derive soil moisture maps from multi-temporal Sentinel1 and Sentinel2 data;
- soil moisture products;
- two peer-reviewed publications.