all things open access - resources, books, journals
Thanks to national agreements between the VSNU, the association of Universities in the Netherlands, and publishers, corresponding authors can now publish Open Access for free or at a discount in many journals. Most of these agreements concern subscription journals with an Open Access option.
On 4 September 2018, a group national research funding organisation, with the support of the European Commission and the European Research Council (ERC), announced the launch of cOAlition S, an initiative to make full and immediate Open Access to research publications a reality. It is built around Plan S, which consists of one target and 10 principles. By January 1st 2020, “By 2020 scientific publications that result from research funded by public grants provided by participating national and European research councils and funding bodies, must be published in compliant Open Access Journals or on compliant Open Access Platforms.”
For more information, pro's an con's we refer you to:
R.J. Smits in Nature, Radical open-access plan could spell end to journal subscriptions
VSNU Open Access Roadmap
The Guardian Is the staggeringly profitable business of scientific publishing bad for science?
The University of Twente provides a fund to stimulate Open Access publishing peer-reviewed Open Access Journals and to make their research data sustainably accessible in a trusted repository. Starting January 2019 you can request reimbursement of your Open access articles if they meet the criteria below.
Are you the corresponding author of an article that is published in a peer-reviewed Open Access (OA) journal? If you meet the criteria listed below, the University of Twente will reimburse half or all of the publication costs, depending on the impact factor of the journal, with a maximum reimbursement of €1,500.
You are eligible for an OA Publishing Grant when you meet all of these conditions:
1. You are the corresponding author of the article.
2. The article states University of Twente as your affiliation.
3. The article is published in an OA journal that is registered in the Directory of Open Access Journals.
4. The article is published in an OA journal that has or is nominated for, an impact factor.
If the impact factor of the OA journal is in the top quartile (Q1) in its field, the grant reimburses 100% of the publication costs, with a maximum of € 1,500. In all other cases, the grant reimburses 50% of the publication costs, with a maximum of € 750.
5. You can only apply for an OA Publishing Grant in the year that your article is published.
6. You have not received another grant for covering the cost of publishing this article open access.
7. You have not received another OA Publishing Grant from the Open Science Fund in the same calendar year.
This grant will be awarded on a ‘first come, first served’ basis. The grant is a reimbursement to an OFI number of a UT group, so your research group will have to pay the publisher first.
Applications can be done via e-mail. Send this to Carla Gerritsen, it should contain: 1) the link to the published article, 2) the publishers invoice and 3) your research group's OFI number for transferring the reimbursement.
For questions and support on Open Access publishing, please contact Carla Gerritsen, head library ITC.
OPEN ACCESS: WHO'S AFRAID OF PEER REVIEW? - OCTOBER 2013
A spoof paper concocted by Science reveals little or no scrutiny at many open-access journals.
Read the full text of the article here Also the "Building Blogs of Science" has an opinion on the matter
titled: Predatoromics of science communication.
Open Access (in line with the Budapest Open Access Initiative) can be defined as the free availability of research and scholarly outputs on the public internet permitting users to make any lawful and non-commercial use of the research material(s) without any legal, technical or financial barriers other than the acknowledgement of the right of the author(s).
We define open access journals as journals that use a funding/business model that does not charge readers or their institutions for access.
More and more funding bodies require that the results of the funded research have to be made publicly available through digital repositories e.g. NWO, KNAW, EU etc.
One misunderstanding about Open Access is that citing Open Access resources is not necessary and that everybody can copy and paste everything without giving credits to the original author. Common practices in academic life have to be followed in the Open Access world as well.
Another misunderstanding is that there are no Open Access journals with an ISI status. On the ITC library website, you will find a list of Open Access Journals. Unfortunately, the amount of OA journals with Impact Factor is still not the same in every academic discipline but it is growing. One of the reasons is that the big publishers are still hesitant towards Open Access.
Most important to realize is that the intellectual freedom and freedom of science remains important. Research publications should be published based on quality and not because one institute has more money than another institute. It should not affect publication behaviour of scientists in developing countries.
Journals that exploit the author-pays model damage scholarly publishing and promote unethical behaviour by scientists, argues Jeffrey Beall. Jeffrey Beall is Scholarly Initiatives Librarian at the University of Colorado Denver. His website "Bealslist" started out as a place to find predatory publishers but also caused discussion. It is still online in a 'saved' last version
With the start of open-access publishing also the predatory publishers came into existence.
An article in NATURE with the title “Predatory publishers are corrupting open access” is explaining what these predatory publishers are, what they do and why we have to be careful when we publish with these predatory publishers.
Directory of Open Access journals: open access scientific journals that use a quality control system.
Scielo Scientific Electronic Library Online.
ScienceOpen.com (Research and Publishing network) is a platform for scientific communication.
African Journals Online: Open Access section African Open Access journals
Bioline International: Open access to quality research journals published in developing countries.
Medknow: Medknow Publications is a publisher of peer-reviewed, online/print+online journals in the area of STM.
The Directory of Open Access Repositories – OpenDOAR: authoritative directory of academic open access repositories that gives a quality-controlled list of repositories.
Information on Open Access:
GOAP The Unesco Global Open Acces Portal
OAPEN (Open Access Publishing in European Networks) is a collaborative initiative to develop and implement a sustainable Open Access publication model for academic books in the Humanities and Social Sciences. The OAPEN Library aims to improve the visibility and usability of high-quality academic research by aggregating peer-reviewed Open Access publications from across Europe.
Oalib (Open Acces Library) is working on a new scholar search engine for all scholars worldwide. Without any registration, Open Access Library allows you free access to a database of over 263,385 openly accessible academic-articles, The ultimate goal of Open Access Library is to prompt academic exchange and advancement.
The Lecture by John Mackenzie Owen titled: Open Access Promises and Pitfalls, at the occasion of the ITC 2010 symposium on Open Acces is still worth watching. (35 min) He is Emeritus Professor of Information Science at the University of Amsterdam.
Introduction: Open Access is a way to eliminate the cost of scientific publications for end-users and their institutions. Open Access could, therefore, lead to free access to information for all. However, there are many obstacles to achieving this goal, and the road to full open access is not free from pitfalls. In this presentation, I shall briefly introduce the concept and background of Open Access, provide an overview of current developments, and discuss some of the major issues, both positive and negative. I shall put special emphasis on aspects that are relevant to developing countries as the possibly chief beneficiaries of Open Access in the long run.
- AAG review of books : partly open access
- ACE : Architecture, City and Environment
- ACME : an international e - journal for critical geographies
- Acta geologica Hispanica
- Acta Geophysica
- Acta Herpetologica
- Acta Silvatica and Lignaria Hungarica
- Advances in Geosciences, ADGEO : An Open Access Journal for Refereed Proceedings and Special Publications
- African journal of environmental science and technology AJEST
- Agricultural and food economics
- Agronomia tropical : Venezuela : partly open access
- AIMS Newsletter : Agricultural Information Management Standards
- American journal of rural development
- Annales Geophysicae, ANGEO : An Open Access Journal of the European Geosciences Union
- Annals of forest science
- Annals of geophysics
- Annals of Warsaw University of Life Sciences, Land reclamation
- AoB Plants : Annals of Botany
- Applications in plant sciences
- Applied water science
- Artificial Satellites
- Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, ACP
- Atmospheric Measurement Techniques, AMT
- Australasian Journal of Educational Technology (AJET)
- AVN : Allgemeine Vermessungsnachrichten : partly open access
- Banko Janakari : a journal of forestry information for Nepal
- Bayesian analysis
- Bibliographia cartographica : International documentation of cartographical literature : partly open access
- Biogeosciences Discussions, BGD
- Biogeosciences, BG
- Biology international
- Bois et forêts des tropiques : partly open access
- Botanical studies
- Bulletin (new series) of the American Mathematical Society
- Bulletin of mathematical sciences
- Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society
- Bulletin of the Ecological Sociey of America ESA
- Bulletin of the international association of scientific hydrology IASH : partly open access
- Bulletin of the International Union of Soil Sciences : IUSS
- Carbon balance and management
- Climate research : partly Open Access
- Commonwealth journal of local governance
- Contributions to Geophysics and Geodesy
- Coordinates : magazine on positioning, navigation and associated technologies
- Copernicus Open Access publications
- Current climate change reports
- Delft integraal
- Delft outlook
- Development and change : partly open access
- Development dialogue : a journal of international development cooperation
- Development ISSues (DevISSues) : the ISS magazine on development in teaching and research
- Down to earth : science and environment fortnightly
- EARSeL e - proceedings remote sensing journal
- EARSeL newsletter
- Earth and space science
- Earth interactions
- Earth perspectives
- Earth Surface Dynamics ESurfD : An Interactive Open Access Journal of the Earth Sciences
- Earth System Science Data Discussions ESSDD: the data publishing journal
- Earth System Science Data ESSD: the data publishing journal
- Earth, planets and space
- Echos du COTA
- Ecohydrology and Hydrobiology
- Ecological processes
- Ecological questions
- Ecology and Evolution
- Ecology and society
- Ecosystem health and sustainability
- eEarth, eE : An Interactive Open Access Journal of the Earth Sciences
- EFI News : European Forest Institute
- Energy, sustainability and society
- Environmental processes
- Environmental research letters
- Environmental systems research
- Epasa Moto : a multidisciplinary journal of arts, letters and the humanities
- EPJ Data Science
- ESCAP environment and sustainable development news
- European countryside
- European Journal of Open, Distance, and E-Learning (EURODL)
- European journal of Remote sensing
- European journal of transport and infrastructure research : EJTIR
- European transport research reviews
- Federal Geographic Data Committee newsletter - FGDC
- First break : European Association of Exploration Geophysicists (EAEG)
- Food and energy security
- Forest Carbon Asia FCA publications : policies, players an discussions across the region
- Forest ecosystems
- Forests journal of forestry and forest ecology
- Frontiers in Zoology
- Geo : Geography and Environment
- Geo nieuws : elektronisch geologisch tijdschrift
- Geochemical transactions
- Geodesy and Cartography
- Geodetical Survey : Serbia
- Geodézia és Kartografia
- Geoenvironmental disasters
- Geografisk tidsskrift = Danish journal of geography : partly open access
- Geographica Helvetica : Swiss journal of Geography
- Geologica acta
- Geologica Carpathica
- Geological bulletin of Turkey = Türkiye Jeoloji Bülteni
- Geologija : the Lithuanian Academy of Sciences.
- Geomatics and information science of Wuhan University
- Geoscience data journal
- Geoscience Frontiers
- Geoscience Letters : official journal of the Asia Oceania Geosciences Society AOGS
- Geoscientific Model Development, GMD
- Geothermal energy
- Global ecology and conservation
- Global mapping newsletter
- GPS World
- GRSG newsletter : Geological Society of London, Geological Remote Sensing Group : partly open access
- GSA today : a publication of the Geological Society of America
- Human-centric computing and information sciences
- Hydrology and earth system sciences (HESS)
- Hydrology and earth system sciences discussions (HESSD)
- Hydrology Research
- Ideas in ecology and evolution
- iForest biogeosciences and forestry
- IIED Briefing Papers
- Indonesian journal of geography
- Information for social change
- Informationen zur Raumentwicklung : partly Open Access
- Inside unmanned systems
- International journal of advanced structural engineering
- International Journal of Biodiversity and Conservation IJBC
- International journal of disaster risk science
- International journal of energy and environmental engineering
- International Journal of Environmental Protection and Policy
- International journal of environmental research
- International journal of environmental research and public health
- International journal of geoinformatics : partly open access
- International Journal of Geophysics
- International journal of health geographics
- International journal of plant production
- International Journal of Remote Sensing and Earth Sciences (IJReSES)
- International journal of signal processing, image processing and pattern recognition
- International Journal of Water Sciences
- International review for spatial planning and sustainable development : IRSPSD international
- International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning (IRRODL)
- ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information
- Israel journal of earth sciences
- Jàmbá : journal of disaster risk studies
- Journal of applied ecology : partly open access
- Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology : partly open access
- Journal of applied volcanology
- Journal of arid land
- Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology : partly open access
- Journal of big data
- Journal of biological dynamics
- Journal of Climate : partly open access
- Journal of coastal research : partly open access
- Journal of Development and Agricultural Economics
- Journal of Ecology and the Natural Environment JENE
- Journal of environmental science and water resources JESWR
- Journal of Geodetic Science
- Journal of geography and geology
- Journal of Himalayan earth sciences
- Journal of hydrometeorology : partly open access
- Journal of integrative plant biology JIPB
- Journal of librarianship and scholarly communication JLSC
- Journal of limnology
- Journal of maps : partly open access
- Journal of modern transportation
- Journal of Online Learning and Teaching (JOLT)
- Journal of plant registrations
- Journal of public transportation
- Journal of settlements and spatial planning
- Journal of spatial hydrology
- Journal of Spatial Information Science : JOSIS
- Journal of the Atmospheric sciences : partly open access
- Journal of the Indian geophysical union
- Journal of the Japan society of photogrammetry and remote sensing
- Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan
- Journal of the Southern African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy SAIMM
- Journal of tropical agriculture
- Journal of water and land development
- Land tenure journal
- Limnology and oceanography : partly open access
- Mathematical Sciences
- Mining magazine : for minerals industry management worldwide
- Modeling earth systems and environment
- Momona : Ethiopian journal of Science
- Mountain research and development
- Movement ecology
- NAGA : the ICLARM quarterly
- Natural hazards and earth system sciences (NHESS)
- Nature Communications
- New Zealand journal of forestry science
- Nile Basin Capacity Building Network for River Engineering NBCB-RE : newsletter
- Nile Basin water science & engineering magazine
- Nonlinear Processes in Geophysics, NPG
- Ocean Science, OS
- Onderwijs Innovatie
- One World Magazine
- Online Journal of Distance Learning Administration (OJDLA)
- open atmoshpheric science journal
- Open Biology
- open ecology journal
- open remote sensing journal
- OzonAction : a newsletter dedicated to ozone protection and the implementation of the Montreal Protocol
- Pachyderm : journal of the African Elephant, African Rhino and Asian Rhino Specialist Groups
- Pedon : newsletter for alumni and staff from the International training centre for post - graduate soil scientists, University of Ghent
- Perspectiva geografica : revista del programa de estudios de posgrado en geografia
- Petroleum science
- PFG : Photogrammetrie, Fernerkundung, Geoinformation : partly open access
- PLoS ONE
- Problems of desert development
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America (PNAS) : partly open access
- Progress in earth and planetary science
- R journal
- Regional studies, regional science
- Remote Sensing
- RERIC international energy journal
- Revista Brasileira de cartografia
- Revista Brasileira de geociencias : partly open access
- Revista Brasileira de meteorologia
- Rural 21 : the international journal for rural development
- Science in China : Series A : Mathematics
- Science in China : Series B : Chemistry
- Science in China : Series D : Earth Sciences
- Scientia agriculturae Bohemica
- Scientific data : data descriptor
- Scientific drilling
- Scientific reports
- SENSE newsletter
- SLIS Connecting : The University of Southern Mississippi School of Library and Information Science’s (SLIS)
- Slovak geological magazine
- Social Geography, SG : An Interactive Open Access Journal
- Soils and foundations : Japanese Geotechnical Society : partly open access
- STAtOR : periodiek van de Vereniging voor Statistiek en Operationele Research (VVS) : partly open access
- Stephan Mueller Special Publication Series, SMSPS : An Open Access Journal for Refereed Proceedings and Special Publications
- System Erde : GFZ journal
- Terra et aqua : international journal on public works, ports & waterways developments
- The broker : connecting worlds of knowledge
- The Cryosphere TC
- The electronic journal of information systems in developing countries (EJISDC)
- The journal of transport and land use JTLU : a free, open access, peer reviewed journal exploring the intersection of networks and activity
- The OECD observer
- The photogrammetric journal of Finland
- Transactions of the Wessex Institute : Witt e-library : partly open access
- Tropical forest update : a newsletter of the International Tropical Timber Organization ITTO to promote the conservation and sustainable development of tropical forest
- Unasylva : an international journal of forestry and forest industries
- Urban, planning and transport research
- Urban Science
- Water journal on water science and technology, including the ecology and management of water resources
- Weather, climate and society : partly open access
- Webology : international journal on the study of the web, web science and technology