Chang’an University (CAU), Xi’an, China and the faculty ITC of the University of Twente have developed a double degree Master’s Geo-information Science and Earth Observation exposing course participants to developments in geo-information science and earth observation.
As a Master’s student of Geo-information Science and Earth Observation at ITC you will focus on a specific field of interest, with multiple specializations to choose from, including a tailor-made specialization. Each specialization contains a number of core courses that reflect its central concerns, and a Master’s thesis project that reflects the specialization’s inherent nature. You will also have the opportunity to participate in a wider selection of (elective) courses.
Students enrolled in Chang’an University Master’s can apply for this double degree programme as part of their 3-year Master’s at Chang'an University.
The time table for the double degree Master’s programme is given here.
1st year at CAU Master programme
9 Nov 2020
29 Jan 2021
1 Feb 2020
16 April 2021
Global challenges, local action
19 Apr 2021
2 July 2021
9 Nov 2020
26 Jul 2021
CAU students return to China after quartile 5 (5 November 2021)
Master's research proposal
30 Aug 2021
5 Nov 2021
Elective courses (individual study programme)
Research executed at CAU
8 Nov 2021
1 Jul 2022
- Thesis defence CAU degree
- Thesis defence ITC degree
Mid May 2022
* Year refers to the years of the standard 2-year Master’s Geo-information Science and Earth Observation at ITC
The possibility exists to finish your research at ITC in June if the additional costs for this extended stay are covered.
Upon successful completion of this programme you are entitled to the degree Master of Science. You will receive an (Academic Education) Diploma in Geo-information Science and Earth Observation from the University of Twente.
Along with your diploma you will receive a Diploma Supplement, providing the name of the specialization, the description of the nature, level, context, and status of the study completed.
Academic level and background
Applicants for the Master’s Programme Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (MSc) should have a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent from a recognized university in a discipline related to the course*, preferably combined with working experience in a relevant field.
The following average scores apply to the Master’s programme:
- A 3.0 or higher Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) on a 4.0 scale, or
- Upper Second Class standing or higher
NOTE: a Lower Second Class standing may be accepted based on evidence of relevant professional experience and/or other further academic development.
The faculty accepts transcripts, degrees, and diplomas in the following languages: Dutch, English, German, French, and Spanish. It is at the discretion of the faculty to require additional English translations of all documents in other languages as well.
Success in your studies requires a high level of English proficiency. Therefore, prospective students with an international (other than Dutch) degree must meet the English language requirement. As proof that you meet this requirement, you will be asked in the application procedure to upload one of the requested language certificates:
- IELTS (academic) with an overall band score of at least 6.0 (with a minimum sub-score of 6.0 for speaking and writing) and certificates not older than two years.
- TOEFL iBT (internet-based) with an overall score of 80 (with a minimum sub-score of 20 for speaking) and certificates not older than two years. Please note that the University of Twente does not accept the MyBest scores of the TOEFL test.
- Cambridge C1 Advanced Formerly known as; Cambridge English Advanced (CAE), obtained with an A, B or C grade.
- Cambridge C2 Proficiency Formerly known as; Cambridge English Proficiency (CPE) obtained with an A, B or C grade.
Only these internationally recognised test results are accepted. Without a valid certificate, we cannot process your application.
- Ensure you have obtained a valid English test result before the application deadline. If your application is accompanied by a language test score report with a test date after our application deadline, we will not process it. Therefore, make sure to do the test in advance, as it will take time for you to get the official certificate.
- When applying for a scholarship, the language requirements may be different because scholarship providers may have different requirements.
- If you have studied in a former British or American colony, you must take one of the internationally recognised English language tests.
You are exempted from the English language requirement if you hold:
- a relevant bachelor's degree from an accredited academic institution in the Netherlands
- if you are a national of one of the countries in this list (PDF)
- a three-year bachelor's degree in Australia, Canada (English-speaking part), Ireland, New Zealand, UK or USA. When your awarding institution is in one of these countries, but your teaching institution was not, you are not exempted. The same rule applies to distance (online) education.
You are expected to be familiar with basic computer skills. Basic knowledge of and skills in working with GIS and spatial data is strongly recommended.
When you study in an ITC programme with a duration of nine months or longer (Master’s and Postgraduate diploma programmes), you should have a notebook computer that meets ITC's technical notebook requirements.
If you do not own a notebook that meets the minimum requirements you could consider buying one through our Notebook Project. The Notebook Project offers discounted notebooks that meet our standards and have the peripherals needed to connect to the ITC networks.
Technical requirements online education and assessment
For online education, we formulated guidelines to guarantee optimal performance. For online oral exams and proctoring during online assessments, the webcam and headset requirements need to be met.
For more information about this programme please contact:
Mr. Chang Zheng, China Representative for University of Twente – ITC
T: + 86-1370 1390 177 | E: email@example.com | WeChat: 微信公众号
Dr. Zhang Wei, Deputy Dean, International Education School, Chang'an University
Nan Er Huan Zhong Duan, Xian City 710064 China
T: +86-29-8233 4165 | F: +86-29-8233 7373 | E: firstname.lastname@example.org | www.ies.chd.edu.cn