An anniversary is naturally an occasion for celebration and 70 years is a respectable age in anyone’s book. But what are we actually celebrating? Simply a date on a calendar or is there more? Snooping through the ITC archives, we have selected some high lights that chart the history of the Institute since its foundation. Many of these will stir up memories in our alumni, partners and associates ‒ who together form ITC’s extensive, and extending, global network ‒ and enable them to identify their own niche in the scheme of things. But as we walk along the milestones marking our path, one thing is clear: the foresight and energy that characterised the early years of the Institute is still very much with us today. So, yes, we do have a great deal to celebrate as we consider our journey so far, but equally important we can celebrate the fact that thanks to the sound foundations laid and consolidated over the past 70 years we are able to face the future with optimism and confidence. History is still being written!.
ITC-UNESCO Centre for Integrated Surveys
Professor Schermerhorn establishes the ITC Foundation Fund, encouraging scientific research in photogrammetry in general and at ITC in particular.
First edition of the ITC Publication Series
First edition of the International Bibliography of Photogrammetry Correspondents published at ITC
Visit of Pandhit Jawahar Lal Nehru (first Prime Minister of India)
On November 1956, His Royal Highness Prince Bernard of the Netherlands officially opened the new building. The new building not only housed the Centre's training facilities but also contained student accommodation.
The first long term project,supported by the United Nations, started with the National Cartographic Centre (NCC) of Iran.
ITC participated in the founding of the OEEPE (currently Euro SDR)based at the institute.
First courses of the ITC started in in 1951 and the – small informal – organisation used office space in the building of the Geodesy Department of the Techinical University of Delft.
1951 First certificate issued to Mr. L.J. Miranda-Ruiz from Venezuela
Sculptor Charles Hammes designed the so-called Kronkel for the Institute’s premises. This became the ITC logo and is recognised throughout the world.
The ITC came into existence by passing the charter of foundation on 11th July 1950. By that time there was no building for the new organization. It housed in a part of Geodesy building to the Technical University in Delft. Founder of the ITC – Prof.dr.ir.h.c. Willem Schermerhorn – was professor at the TU Delft and lived in the professor apartment at the Geodesy building.
Professor Schermerhorn is appointed dean of the International Training centre for Aerial Survey.
Prof.Dr.Ir. Willem Schermerhorn visits the UN Headquarters in Lake Success to advise on the use of cartography for UN purposes.