ITC notebook requirements
When you study in an ITC programme of nine months or longer (Master's and Diploma programmes), you are required to have a notebook computer that meets our requirements. When you bring your own notebook, you need to run an online test and have your notebook registered so that you will know that the notebook meets the requirements and that it can be used in your study programme. If you are an admitted candidate you can check and register here. Make sure you have the reference code from the invoice at hand (this is in your e-mail and/or can be obtained again through DAF our online course application system). Support will be optimized and prioritized for registered notebooks, it might not be possible to use non-registered notebooks.
If you do not own a notebook that meets the minimum requirements as described below then you can purchase a notebook through the Notebook Project of the University of Twente. You will have (at least) the recommended specifications as described below and will receive full support and service from the Notebook Service Centre. When repairs take more than an hour you can borrow a notebook for the duration of the repair. Of course you are free to buy a laptop somewhere else, but then you cannot make use of these benefits.
If you are planning to bring your own notebook then please check the hard- and software requirements carefully. Only notebooks that meet the minimum requirements can be serviced by the Notebook Service Centre. Note that only limited service on a best effort base (software issues only) can be provided when you bring your own notebook.
Your notebook have access to the wireless and wired network at ITC and wired network in the ITC Hotel. This provides access to the network disks and printers.
Software that is required for your study is provided by us for the time that you are studying at ITC. Microsoft Office you will need to buy yourself.
Hardware and operating system requirements
|Operating system||Windows 7 64 bit English
(Home premium, Ultimate, Pro, Enterprise)
|Memory||3 GB||4 GB|
|Disk storage||80 GB free disk space|
|Screen||15 inch, 1366 x 768|
|Processor||Intel® Core™ i3 Processor or equivalent (e.g. AMD)|
|Network||Wireless (Wi-Fi) and Ethernet LAN|
|Mouse||Separate mouse with left/right click and center wheel|
|Software||Microsoft Office 2010|
- If your computer has a different language installed then you can install the free English language pack from the Windows Update site. Notebooks that do not have an English operating system or language pack installed will not be serviced by the Notebook Service Centre. Supervised practicals also rely on an English user interface.
- Make sure you have a genuine installation of your operating system. Non genuine windows versions cannot be updated with the latest security updates. (Test it here.)
- Remove unnecessary software from your notebook before you come to ITC. Demo or trial software can conflict with full software versions provided during the ITC course.
- Bring your installation DVD’s and license numbers in case your notebook has to be reinstalled.
- Make sure not to bring or install illegal software, because this will not be tolerated, access to the network and ITC software will be denied and support on your notebook will not be given any longer.