I have selected here a few organizations in Kyrgyzstan that do research and projects in the area of Remote Sensing and GIS. Among them:
- My past employer - Kyrgyz State National University, faculty of geography and ecology. Perhaps, department of ecology is most active in this area (unfortunately website is only in Russian and Kyrgyz).
- Recently established Austria-Central Asia Centre for GIScience affiliated to Kyrgyz State University for Construction, Transportation and Architecture. Active in the area of GIS education – check out their web page for the upcoming conferences.
- Central Asian Institute for Applied Geosciences (CAIAG). Mostly dealing with Remote Sensing applications in geosciences, although it offers GIS training courses as well.
- State Agency of Geodesy and Cartography (Kyrgzgeodeziya), located at ul. Kievskaja 107, 720300g Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan. It has a decent GIS unit that should have completed the digitization of old paper maps by now, but one can also purchase papermaps of 1:50 000 scale on the second floor).
- Pioneer of GIS in Kyrgyzstan: Geographic Information Systems laboratory at Kyrgyz-Swiss Forestry Support Program in Kyrgyzstan. Located at Kulatova str, 1.
- In the last years various GIS units were established at (mainly) governmental institutes: such as Geological Survey, Institute of Soil Research of Academy of Science etc...