The TIGER Capacity Building Facility (TCBF) aims) aims at supporting the research actions of the initiative. As a major component of this new phase, TCBF is devoted to support African scientists to develop scientific skills and technical capacity to make the best use of Earth Observation technology for water resources management in Africa.
There is a large variety of participating institutions, from universities to regional water authorities. They get free access to ESA satellite data, and a large number of training activities are being implemented for them, with the aim of broadening the EO literacy among the information users, i.e. the water practitioners. We also aim at higher academic qualifications, the key players in EO research and education, to enable them to teach new generations of EO specialists and users in Africa. These activities also contribute to building a community that unites the users of earth observation technology for water applications around the continent.
Phase 2 reached its planned completion in June 2012, but the activities were extended for another 18 months. After this, a new phase is going to be opened in 2014. Nevertheless, we look at these deadlines as contractual issues, since we do believe that our activity has a much broader horizon, and we shall find the ways to continue working on our tasks.
News and Announcements
|News and events:
- A call has been announced by ESA for ten new TIGER research projects: the related news is here. The call can be downloaded here.
- The extended second phase of TCBF has been closed in the end of 2013, and a new phase has started in 2014.
|Events where TIGER was/is involved:
- 26-31 May 2014: 5th Africa Water Week, Dakar, Senegal
- 1-4 April 2014: Third International Conference on the Use of Space Technology for Water Management, Rabat, Morocco
- 17-21 February 2014: 2nd Training of Trainers session on the Use of Earth Observation Tools for Water Quality Assessment in cooperation with Cap-Net, WaterCap and RCMRD, Nairobi, Kenya
- 18–22 November 2013: 1st Training of Trainers session on Land cover Mapping in cooperation with SANSA, Cap-Net and WRC, Pretoria, South Africa
- October 2013: 8th Training Course and TIGER Workshop 2013 in Tunis, Tunisia
- 9-13 September 2013: The "Living Planet Symposium 2013" was held in Edinburgh, United Kingdom, organised by ESA with the support of the UK Space Agency
- 13-24 May 2013: 7th Training Course in Lusaka, Zambia
- 3-5 December 2012: 6th Training Course in cooperation with SEMIDE-EMWIS in Frascati, Italy
- 12-15 November 2012: 5th Training Course in cooperation with the World Bank
- 29 October - 2 November 2012: AARSE conference with two TIGER events
- 23-27 April 2012: Sentinel-2 Preparatory Symposium, Frascati, Italy
- 12-17 March 2012: 6th World Water Forum, Marseille, France
- 5-13 December 2011: TIGER Workshop 2011 and Training Courses, South Africa