The research work carried out at ITC is directed
towards the following general objectives:
- To detect, map and monitor coal fires on a regional scale
and model individual coal fires on a local scale.
- To estimate a baseline scenario for the amount of CO2
emitted from the coal fires at regional and local scales - i.e.
assuming no fire fighting activities are undertaken in the near
- To calculate the decrease in the greenhouse gas emission
should the coal fires be put out successfully.
- To assess the environmental impact in the coal mining and
coal fire areas.
- To develop and implement a dedicated coal fire Geographic
Information System (GIS) in China, which would meet with the
user requirements, chiefly the requirements of the local fire
fighting team. Such a GIS would be able to generate among others,
fire risk and hazard maps, fire fighting priority maps.
- To propose steps necessary to prevent the development of
new coal fires.