Admission requirementsAcademic level and background
Applicants for the Diploma course in Geoinformatics should have completed their secondary education in a discipline related to the course specialisation and have at least three years of relevant practical experience.
As all courses are given in English, proficiency in the English language is a prerequisite. If you are a national of one of the countries in this list (PDF), you are exempted from an English language test. Please note: the requirements when applying for fellowships may vary according to the regulations of the fellowship provider.
English language tests: minimum requirements
Only internationally recognised test results are accepted.
|TOEFL Paper-based Test (PBT)||500|
|TOEFL Internet-based Test||61|
|British Council / IELTS||5.5|
Although introductory lessons on computer skills are scheduled in the Diploma programme, applicants lacking computer experience are strongly advised to follow basic courses in their home countries.
Participants who start an ITC course of nine months or longer (MSc, Master and Diploma courses), are required to have a notebook computer that meets ITC’s requirements. When you bring your own notebook, you need to run an online test and have your notebook registered so that you will know that the notebook meets the requirements and that it can be used in the ITC course. Check and register here when you are an admitted candidate and have the reference code from the invoice at hand (this is in your e-mail and/or can be obtained again through ITC’s application system daf.itc.nl). Support will be optimized and prioritized for registered notebooks, it might not be possible to use non-registered notebooks.
If you do not own a notebook that meets the minimum requirements as described below then you can purchase a notebook through the ITC Notebook Programme. Notebooks purchased through the ITC Notebook Programme will have at least the recommended specifications as described below and will be fully supported and serviced by the ITC Notebook Service Centre. When repairs take more than an hour you will be able to borrow a notebook for the duration of the repair. Of course you are free to buy a laptop somewhere else, but then you cannot make use of these benefits.
If you are planning to bring your own notebook then please check the requirements carefully. Only notebooks that meet the minimum requirements can be serviced by the Notebook Service Centre. Note that only limited service on a best effort base (software issues only) can be provided when you bring your own notebook.
Student notebooks have access to the wireless and wired network at ITC and wired network in the ITC hotel. This provides access to the network disks and printers.
Software that is required for your study is provided by ITC for the time that you are studying at ITC. Microsoft Office you will need to buy yourself.
Hardware and operating system requirements
|Operating system||Windows 7 64 bit English
(Home premium, Ultimate, Pro, Enterprise)
|Memory||3 GB||4 GB|
|Disk storage||80 GB free disk space||(Minimum)|
|Screen||15 inch, 1366 x 768||(Minimum)|
|Processor||Intel® Core™ i3 Processor or equivalent (e.g. AMD)||(Minimum)|
|Network||Wireless (Wi-Fi) and Ethernet LAN||(Minimum)|
|Mouse||Separate mouse with left/right click and center wheel||(Minimum)|
|Software||Microsoft Office 2010||(Minimum)|
- If your computer has a different language installed then you can install the free English language pack from the Windows Update site. Notebooks that do not have an English operating system or language pack installed will not be serviced by the Notebook Service Centre. Supervised practicals also rely on an English user interface.
- Make sure you have a genuine installation of your operating system. Non genuine windows versions cannot be updated with the latest security updates. (Test it here.)
- Remove unnecessary software from your notebook before you come to ITC. Demo or trial software can conflict with full software versions provided during the ITC course.
- Bring your installation DVD’s and license numbers in case your notebook has to be reinstalled.
- Make sure not to bring or install illegal software, because this will not be tolerated, access to the network and ITC software will be denied and support on your notebook will not be given any longer.